Quote of the Week

Common sense is such a rarity these days, it should be classified as a super power.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Desperately Seeking Accountability

I've decided that I really want to lose weight. But darn it, if it's not nearly impossible to stay motivated. I mean, seriously, it's one thing right after another. Just when I get settled into a resolute peace, BAM!, something new goes awry and I'm back yearning for chocolate to soothe the soul or deep-fried mozz sticks to comfort me. Side note: the truth is, those chocolate goodies and fried delights do, if momentarily, bring a great calm for me in the middle of a nervous breakdown, er, I mean storm. However, when the scales serve the evidence to me the next morning of just exactly what those treats brought to the table, I sink into depression, yet again. And then, chocolate? Is that you? Oooooh! And you brought caramel with you? Mmm hmmm....it's a vicious cycle of good-for-nothings.
Once upon a time, in a galaxy (read: life) far, far away....I used to do Weight Watchers. I used to attend meetings and follow the plan faithfully and I lost a good deal of weight. Knowing that I can be successful on WW I really, really want to follow it again. Here's the prob (because, after all, there has to be a prob to begin with)- I just can't justify (yes, I mean afford) to attend meetings right now. Seeing as I still have my materials and notes from my earlier endeavors, I thought I might, perchance, do it on my own. Yeah, but that presents another issue: I NEED ACCOUNTABILITY. I don't know if it was the applause roaring for pounds lost, ringing the bell for each 5 pound accomplishment, the stickers for minor steps taken in the right direction, or the rewards for major milestones (I once got the coolest key chain for losing 10% of my starting weight, and a refrigerator magnet for losing 25 pounds), but attending meetings seemed to be key for me. So, if I cannot attend then I must find a new avenue of praise and reward to satiate my inner child for giving up a life of comfort-eating.
So, as I've been trying to figure out what I should blog about, it occurred to me that this blog would be the perfect opportunity and outlet for accountability and maybe even a cyber-high five here, and a virtual pat on the back there. I also had this inkling that maybe, just maybe, others might want to join in on the action via comments of their own undertakings to shed some flab. I invite anyone who wants to participate by commenting with your own stories, encouraging those who are desperately trying to stick with it, or just to laugh with us when we cite midnight awakenings to the cries of a donut begging to be consumed. Here's to ya- may the most devoted lose!

3 comments:

  1. Kendy--Yeah for you! I will cheer you on! Willis struggles with his weight and I'm trying to eat healthier and help my kids choose healthy stuff. Have you seen the Eat this Not that books? I got the supermarket one and the kids one. So helpful! No one taught me the kinds of things to avoid. And the supermarket one has a section on what fruits and veggies are in season and how to store them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not seen those books you mention but I'm very very interested. Where do I get these books?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ordered them from Amazon. I usely check the Buy New or Used section. You might be able to check them out at a library, too. I know there are the two I got and then one other that covers a lot of restaurants (that's also in the kids book, but obviously covers kids' menus and choices.)

    ReplyDelete