Quote of the Week

Common sense is such a rarity these days, it should be classified as a super power.

Monday, June 4, 2012

Salmon and (Kid-Friendly) Mojito Tea

Have you ever bought fresh salmon? Over the weekend, for the first time ever, I bought a pound of fresh salmon. Now, don't get me wrong. I eat salmon often, though not as often as I'd prefer. I typically, and ashamedly, buy the frozen stuff. The baby girl actually likes salmon, and considering she refuses most meat, that's pretty awesome. So mid-morning on Saturday we ventured out to the grocery store, despite the fact that my lungs were threatening to shut down due to this awful chest congestion I was experiencing, and we shopped. It happened to be a day for sampling some on-trend healthy foods. Salmon was one of those samplings.

I love salmon so when I got the chance to sample I was so excited. I was inspired to make a fresh fish purchase, but it wasn't until I was offered a coupon for it that I took the bait. *I have paused to admire my fish humor* So, I bought a pound. On the counter of the seafood section was this little ruler that measures up to 2 1/2". I picked it up and it turns out that it's a tool to use to measure your fillets and it gives you the cooking information based on thickness. So clever. Also, this little, brilliant find was free. It says on the ruler that you are supposed to cook fresh fish at a temperature of 450 degrees for 10 minutes per inch of thickness. So you use the ruler on the one side to measure the thickness of your meat, at the thickest part of the fillet. My fillet was 1 1/2" at its thickest area so I baked mine for 15 minutes. Let me tell you- it was perfect. It was so perfectly cooked. Juicy and flaked so easily. If you are like me and you love fresh fish but you are terrified of how to cook it, take my advice- try it! You won't believe how easy! Oh, and before I forget, it also says that you add 15 minutes to the cook time if you're starting with a frozen fillet. I made a salad with mine, but I think that some asparagus baked with a bit of olive oil, sea salt and pepper, and a spray of citrus would really pair well with the fish.

Now, for my second triumph of the weekend- Mojito Tea. I love mojitos, almost as much (and in some instances, even more) as Margaritas which have always been my fave. I'm not much of a drinker. In fact, I probably enjoy a Margarita (or Mojito) only twice a year. What I love about Mojitos are the mint and lime juice. I am a big fan of both mint and limes. So, here's how I made a non-alcoholic Mojito Tea that can be enjoyed anytime.

Mojito Tea

In a large glass container, microwave 6 tea bags in 6 cups of water for 6 minutes. Once it's done, leave the tea bags in and allow to steep. Take 1 small lime or 3 small key limes and rub them on the top of a counter to get the juices flowing. Cut them in half and combine with lots of mint leaves in a coffee filter. Seal the filter well. *Note: It's a good idea to take the leaves off of the mint stems so that no sharp ends poke through the filter. Drop the filter into the hot tea and allow it all to steep together for at least an hour. Coffee filters work great for adding flavors to tea where you don't want to actually mix the stuff into the water. You can combine any number of things- oranges, lemons, anything- in a coffee filter and get the flavors you want without adding pulp or grit to the actual drink. Enjoy. It's super refreshing and crisp.

1 comment:

  1. I am not a fan of fish, but I am a fan of your blogging so I love the post, buddy :) I want to try your Mojito Tea sometime!!! Perhaps if I could ever make it over there you can have some chilling for me :)

    ReplyDelete